Okay, okay, so you've heard this whole "you should journal" thing before, but I've got an awesome, convenient, secret place to do it and a couple of tips to help you start and succeed.
I journal for a few reasons:
- it keeps me sane
- it prevents me from putting too much energy (usually the negative bitchy kind) out into the world
- it guides me to the root of whatever is running through my mind
- it motivates me
- it preps my mind for meditation
One can journal a multitude of different ways:
- the old fashioned way with a pen and paper either in a journal, notebook or piece of paper
- using an app or a word processor
- using a website dedicated to journalling
I use Morning Pages and absolutely love it. It's free, easy to use and gives you a fabulous little box of your favourite words at the end of each session! Hemingway mode even prevents backspaces so you have to release your hold on perfectionism!! When you're done it vanished into thin air and no one ever has to see it, including yourself ever again.
- just write. It doesn't matter what you write, just write what your thinking, feeling, worried about, excited about, perturbed by, what you had for lunch, how cute your dog looks when his nose it suck up against the patio door. It doesn't matter and don't judge yourself, just write your stream of consciousness.
- have a pen and paper handy to jot notes as you go about daily tasks/reminders. Write them quick and continue on.
- do it everyday, sometimes twice even if it's for three minutes
- you don't even have to write sentences. Sometimes my journals look like a long slew of cuss words :D
- keep track of how often you're journaling using a habit tracker - something in your planner or on your wall that tells you how many days in a row you've journaled.
- try drawing as well. This isn't usually my cup of tea, but it's incredibly therapeutic for some.
- Meditate for five to ten minutes after to integrate the clarity you've discovered. If that's too tall of an order, just stick with the journaling.... baby steps!
Give it a whirl. Do it for at least 10 days and let me know how it goes. It gets pretty addictive!
Much love, Casey